Luther supports Eneco in takeover by Mitsubishi

Luther provided legal support to the Dutch energy supplier Eneco in the takeover by a consortium led by the Japanese technology group Mitsubishi. Eneco's lead counsel was the Dutch law firm Stibbe.


Eneco is active in onshore and offshore wind power generation. In Germany, Eneco is represented in particular by the green electricity provider Lichtblick and the Cologne-based Next Kraftwerke. In addition, Eneco has entered the German e-mobility market with a firm foothold through the recent acquisition of German chargeIT mobility, which was also advised by Luther.

Mitsubishi takes over 80 percent of the shares in Eneco, the consortium partner Chubu Electric Power the remaining 20 percent. The purchase price is 4.1 billion euros. With this acquisition, the Japanese are expanding their renewable energy portfolio in Europe, where they are already involved in offshore wind farms and submarine cables. The agreement is still subject to the approval of Eneco's municipal shareholders.

For Eneco:
Luther, Corporate / M&A: Philipp Dietz (Partner, Federführung), Dr Michael Krömker (Partner)
Luther, Energierecht/Kartellrecht: Dr Angelo Vallone (Partner), Franz-Rudolf Groß (Counsel), Benedikt Rechner (Associate)
Luther, Employment: Stefanie Prehm (Partnerin), Maurice Straub (Senior Associate)
Luther, IP: Dr Katharina Preuss (Senior Associate)
Luther, IT/Datenschutz: Dr Michael Rath (Partner), Daniel Lehmann (Associate)

Philipp Dietz, LL.M. (Edinburgh)

Philipp Dietz, LL.M. (Edinburgh)
+49 221 9937 14224