Thomas Weidlich, LL.M. (Hull)
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Phone +49 221 9937 16280
Fax +49 221 9937 110
Languages: German, English
Thomas Weidlich was born in 1966 and studied law in Würzburg and Passau, Germany, and Hull, England. He joined Luther’s predecessor firm in 1996 and managed the Singapore office from 2000 to 2005. Thomas Weidlich has led the Corporate/M&A team in the Cologne office since 2005 and is the responsible Partner for providing legal advice in the Asia-Pacific region, with a special focus on China and India.
Thomas Weidlich is a renowned expert on cross-border acquisitions, joint ventures, IPOs and restructurings. He regularly speaks on these subjects and frequently publishes articles on current legal developments.
Thomas Weidlich advises on national and international acquisitions and divestments, joint ventures and the restructuring of companies. This includes advising on the entire transaction process, from the structuring of the transaction and complex due diligence procedures to contract negotiations and financing advice. Furthermore, Thomas Weidlich has extensive experience advising on all types of capital measures and as lead partner has advised several successful IPOs of German and foreign companies.
A particular focus of Thomas’ practice are European investments in Asia. When providing this advice, he works closely with our offices and “best friend” law firms in China, India, Singapore and other jurisdictions in order to ensure our clients are supported efficiently with their projects in the Far East regardless of time or location. Thomas Weidlich is also the primary contact for Asian companies who are interested in investing and conducting business in Germany and Europe.
- Advising a technology corporation listed on Germany’s S-DAX segment on an increase in capital from approved capital and the participation of a major Asian stockholder by way of a share swap
- Advising a German global market leader on energy transfer technology; most recently regarding restructurings in China and India as well as on the planned acquisition of a German competitor
- Advising a Norwegian oil and gas group on its carve-out of the tunnelling technology and sale to a Chinese state-owned enterprise
- Advising a listed investment holding on several acquisitions, most recently on the acquisition of a production company with its headquarters in Germany and subsidiaries in China, Denmark and The Netherlands
- Advising one of Asia’s largest cooking oil refiners listed on the Singapore stock exchange on its merger with another listed competitor to become the world leader in cooking oils; legal advice regarding German and European affiliates, including advising on corporate and anti-trust law issues
- Providing legal and tax advice to a family-run company globally active in direct distribution with regard to a joint venture with an Indian partner for the distribution of cosmetic products in India as well as on acquisition projects in China
- Advising a US tier 1 automotive supplier on several acquisitions and divestments in Germany; most recently on the sale of a business unit in Germany in a bidding process. Alongside the structuring, these projects also included coordinating due diligence reviews in different countries and extensive contractual negotiations
- Advising a listed infocom components’ manufacturer on its acquisition of a manufacturer of touch sensors (transaction volume of over 100 million euros), including coordinating a comprehensive due diligence of the target companies in China, Taiwan, and Singapore as well as negotiating the complex contractual structure regarding participation rights and the further operation of the companies as a joint venture
- Advising a French group on the sale of a German group of companies (general contractor for construction projects) by way of a bidding process, including vendor due diligence and extensive negotiations with prospective buyers
- Advising a large Turkish construction group on its market entry into Germany and on other acquisitions
- Advising a leading manufacturer of wind turbine plants on its restructuring in India, including comprehensive negotiations with the joint venture partner
- Advising one of the world’s leading manufacturers of printing inks on the restructuring of its subsidiaries in over 20 countries, including the reorganisation of the management structure worldwide
- Advising a family-operated manufacturer of special chemicals and skin protection products on the acquisition of a German competitor (asset deal) and on the incorporation of a production joint venture in Malaysia with a chemicals group listed on the Malaysian stock market, including coordinating the overall project with comprehensive legal advice and leading the negotiations
- Advising a machine tool manufacturer for railroads on a joint venture with a Chinese state-owned company, including due diligence, structuring, and negotiation of the acquisition and joint venture contracts
- Advising a globally operating infocom supplier on the buyout of local partners in Taiwan and Malaysia, as well as on several joint ventures with complex structuring issues in China, India, and Singapore
- Advising on numerous IPOs and capital measures of listed public companies (advising both the issuer and the bank syndicates), most recently on an IPO in January 2014 (Prime Standard, Frankfurt Stock Exchange)