Dr. Marcus Backes
Zertifizierter Restrukturierungs- und Sanierungsexperte (RWS)
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Phone +49 40 18067 24699
Fax +49 40 18067 110
Languages: German, English
Dr Marcus Backes was born in 1973. He studied law at the University of Hamburg, Germany, where he also received his doctorate for a thesis on an insolvency law subject. After being admitted to the German Bar in 2005, he initially worked in the area of insolvency administration, most recently as an insolvency administrator and trustee. In 2010, Dr Marcus Backes started to focus on providing restructuring advice and has since advised companies and businesspersons who are in crisis. He joined Luther in 2013.
Dr Marcus Backes advises national and international companies and their executive bodies on restructurings, distressed M&A transactions and all issues pertaining to insolvency law. He provides independent advisory services to assist clients in crisis to prevent and, where necessary, defend themselves against directors and officers (D&O) liability claims. Furthermore, he offers a broad range of advisory services both to companies that are in crisis and to investors and creditors. His daily work includes effectively enforcing creditors’ rights and representing creditors and groups of creditors in insolvency proceedings, including representing them on preliminary creditors’ committees. Dr Marcus Backes has published various articles on insolvency law issues and co-authored the insolvency law commentary published by Dr Gerhard Pape, Judge at the German Federal Court of Justice, and Prof Dr Christoph Uhländer.
- International group of automotive suppliers: providing advice and representation in insolvency proceedings against the assets of a key supplier, in particular, negotiating complex supply contracts with the insolvency administrator
- International group of oil companies: providing comprehensive advice and representation in insolvency proceedings against the assets of an international group of refineries
- Multinational wholesale group from the paper industry: providing ongoing advice on all issues pertaining to insolvency law and representing the client in various insolvency proceedings against the assets of suppliers and customers, in particular, enforcing rights regarding separating assets and settling claims separately as well as defending against rights to rescind
- Various ship funds: advising on restructuring issues and on matters pertaining to insolvency law
- Listed stock corporation in the solar energy sector: preparing an insolvency plan and negotiating with international investors
- German automotive supplier: enforcing trade receivables vis-à-vis an international group of companies by, inter alia, initiating liquidation proceedings under English law