Dr. Gernot-Rüdiger Engel
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Phone +49 40 18067 16639
Fax +49 40 18067 110
Languages: German, English
Dr Gernot-Rüdiger Engel was born in 1974. He studied law in Göttingen (Germany) and international business management. He obtained his doctorate under the supervision of Prof. Peine on European environmental law. He has worked for Luther since 2004 and was based in Luther’s Berlin office until 2008.
He is the co-editor of the magazine on emission control law and emissions trading: “Zeitschrift für Immissionsschutzrecht und Emissionshandel - I + E” and co-author of the commentaries on the German Environmental Information Act (UIG), as well as author of the “Corporate Compliance Checklists”. In addition, he is a founding member and a member of the supervisory board of the Association IZD (Industrie.Zukunft.Deutschland e.V.) and vice chairman of “Treibshausgasneutralität (STN)”, a charity that he founded.
Dr Gernot-Rüdiger Engel specialises in national, European and international climate protection law (climate protection laws, climate actions, emissions trading and German Renewable Energy Act (EEG)), environmental law with all its aspects (immission control law, water and waste law), information access law (German Freedom of Information Act (IFG), German Environmental Information Act (UIG) and transparency laws) and “environmental compliance”. His advice is solution-oriented, entrepreneurial and future-oriented. The latter is also the reason why he advises on all legal issues relating to the use of drones and he also sits on the relevant advisory board of the Federal Ministry of Transport.
He has been instructed to act on behalf of listed companies as well as owner-managed and medium-sized companies from the chemical industry, energy supply, wood-based materials industry, ceramic industry, paper, cardboard and board industry, thermal waste treatment plants and numerous associations.
Dr Gernot-Rüdiger Engel regularly publishes on current topics and gives lectures on current environmental law issues. He is also a lecturer on environmental and energy law (Berlin School of Economics and Law).
- Papier- u. Kartonfabrik Varel GmbH & Co. KG (major manufacturer of paper products): constitutional complaint directed against § 13 of the German Energy Act (override control of industrial power plants)
- Major steel company (world market leader): legal advice in emissions trading
- Major energy utility: legal advice and representation in a procedure under the German Environmental Information Act
- Major tobacco company: legal advice regarding national and European chemicals law
- Wienerberger Group (major manufacturer of roofing tiles): legal advice in emissions trading
- SmurfitKappa Group (major manufacturer of paper products): legal advice regarding unauthorised name references in technical documents; legal advice on emissions trading