Dr. Gernot-Rüdiger Engel
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Phone +49 40 18067 16639
Fax +49 40 18067 110
Languages: German, English
Dr Gernot-Rüdiger Engel was born in 1974. He studied law in Göttingen, Germany until 1999 and obtained his doctorate under the supervision of Prof Peine: his thesis concerned the “Sustainability of Environmental Management Systems”. He has worked for Luther since 2004 and was based in Luther’s Berlin office until 2008. He is the co-editor of the magazine on emission control law and emissions trading “Zeitschrift für Immissionsschutzrecht und Emissionshandel - I + E”. He is also a founding member and a member of the supervisory board of the Association IZD (Industrie.Zukunft.Deutschland).
Dr Gernot-Rüdiger Engel advises on all environmental law issues. He specialises in climate protection law (emissions trading and German Renewable Energy Act (EEG)), emission control law, water and waste law and “environmental compliance”. He also assists companies in the implementation of environmental and energy management systems (ISO 14001, EMAS and ISO 50001). His clients are listed companies as well as owner-operated and medium-sized companies from the energy supply industry, the thermal waste treatment plant industry, the paper, cardboard and packaging industry, the ceramics industry, the chemical industry and the wood industry. Dr Engel regularly publishes articles on current topics and is a frequent speaker on current environmental law issues.
- Papier- u. Kartonfabrik Varel GmbH & Co. KG (major manufacturer of paper products): constitutional complaint directed against § 13 of the German Energy Act (override control of industrial power plants)
- Major steel company (world market leader): legal advice in emissions trading
- Major energy utility: legal advice and representation in a procedure under the German Environmental Information Act
- Major tobacco company: legal advice regarding national and European chemicals law
- Wienerberger Group (major manufacturer of roofing tiles): legal advice in emissions trading
- SmurfitKappa Group (major manufacturer of paper products): legal advice regarding unauthorised name references in technical documents; legal advice on emissions trading