Dr. Geert Johann Seelig
Certified Specialist in intellectual property law
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Phone +49 40 18067 16807
Fax +49 40 18067 110
Languages: German, English, French
Following his studies in Heidelberg and Freiburg, Germany, he received his doctorate in copyright law in 1996 and was admitted to the bar in 1997. He then worked for four years as in-house counsel for Reemtsma Cigarettenfabriken GmbH in the trademark and patent department, which he also managed. He joined Luther in 2006 and since then has been providing advice in the area of intellectual property law focusing on trademark rights, competition law, copyright law and patent law.
Board member of the Moser Foundation (Jesse Carl Moser and wife Gertrud Moser Foundation)
Member of the Advisory Board of Komponisten-Quartier Hamburg e.V.
Member of the Legal Committee of the Deutscher Segler-Verband e.V. (German Sailors' Association).
International Trademark Association (INTA), member of INTA General Trademark Enforcement Matters Subcommittee
German Association for Intellectual Property Rights and Copyrights (GRUR), (German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property and Copyright e.V.) (GRUR))
Dr. Geert Johann Seelig is partner in the Service Line IP/IT. He has more than 20 years’ experience on advising national and international clients in all matters relating to intellectual property covering the development of filing strategies as well as litigation, including cross-border litigation and IP-related issues in the context of acquisitions.
- Advising an internationally active brewery on trademark, advertising, press/media law issues
- Advising a worldwide leading fittings manufacturer on legal matters, in particular managing of an international trademark portfolio
- Continuing advice to one of Germany’s largest privately owned PR and Social Media agencies on copyright and advertising law
- Advising the University of Hanover on patent law issues
- Representing an international tobacco company concerning unfair competition issues, advertising law, trademark application proceedings and litigation matters regarding trademark rights
- Enforcement of patents of an electro technical company through legal proceedings
- Implementing a globally orientated trademark strategy for a global active chemical company
- Continuing advice to an online streaming service regarding Germany in relation to copyright, media and competition law (handling launch and current presence on German market)
- Defending an international tyre manufacturer in competition and copyright law litigation proceedings
- Advising an international navigation software developer and appliance manufacturer in cross-border litigation matters