Shipping and maritime law
At Luther we provide comprehensive service and have expertise in all important areas relating to the maritime and off-shore sector. The size of our law firm allows our lawyers and tax advisors to develop specific industry expertise in addition to their special professional knowledge.
In advising of our clients, we make use of all the opportunities offered by our full-service law firm and provide services in all relevant practice areas. With our extensive experience, we provide individual and innovative solutions for maritime and off-shore businesses in all stages of their business development. Our scope of service includes advice to ship owners, charterers, shipyards and investors on
- all legal aspects of sales and purchases (SaP) of merchant ships, cruise vessels and private yachts and the related financing contracts
- the building process (negotiation of ship building contracts, novation contracts and related financial advice)
- charter parties and pooling contracts
- demolition and recycling of vessels
- all matters relating off-shore activities, such as turbine installation and cable laying
- recapitalization and reorganization issue
- all aspects of ship finance, including syndicated and subordinated financing, export credit financing, sellers’ credits, bond issues, mezzanine finance, other forms of equity-raising and the relating tax planning
- incorporation and restructuring of companies, especially with the participation of foreign companies or shareholder
as well as
- representing clients in judicial disputes, and
- on-going advice to managing directors, management board members and shareholders
We are focused on providing pragmatic, commercial solutions and understanding the issues which affect our clients. These solutions are tailored to our clients’ needs.
Among our clients are many well-known players of the international maritime community. In recent years we handled shipbuilding contract disputes arising from the crisis, as well as workouts and insolvency issues for our clients. We are in contact with leading private equity firms and hedge funds and are active in finding new investors for the maritime community in Germany, both for fresh newbuilding projects and for restructuring candidates needing a fresh financial start.