Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Phone +49 201 9220 13176
Fax +49 201 9220 110
Languages: German, English
Claudia Schoppen is Partner in the Essen Office of Luther. She studied law at the University of Bonn (Germany). During the course of her legal internship at the Higher Regional Court in Hamburg she worked at the German Embassy in Washington D.C. (USA) She was admitted to the German Bar in 1992. Before joining Luther in 2001 she worked as a lawyer in Hamburg. Claudia is a member of the firm’s practice group Environment/Planning/Regulatory (EPR).
Claudia specialises in EU and German environment and planning regulation. She advises companies in diverse industrial sectors on all issues pertaining to environmental, planning and regulatory law. She counsels on planning and the permit procedures for industrial and power plants as well as in all plant operational issues involving e.g. water management, waste management, emission control or remediation of soil and groundwater contamination. She also advises on these areas in M & A transactions.
Claudia also counsels on WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive) and RoHS (substance restrictions under the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive).
She represents her clients at national administrative courts and has extensive experience defending claims against permits for plants.
Claudia regularly holds seminars and publishes articles relating to environmental and energy law issues. She is author of one of the leading German commentaries on the German Federal Immission Control Act (published by G. Feldhaus) and of a commentary on the German Energy Industry Act (practice guide) and a compendium regarding energy law (Grundriss für Energierecht). She is author of a user guide “Corporate Compliance Check lists” with regard to environmental issues which will be published in its 3rd edition this year (Karsten Umnuß, Corporate Compliance Checklisten, 2012). She is member of the German Environmental Law Society.
- Steag GmbH: counselling the power supply company on diverse permit procedures regarding power plants, ongoing advise on environmental issues
- Evonik Industries AG: counselling on planning law concerning a chemical park
- Municipal Utilities (Stadtwerke): advising on environmental issues or on Emissions trading
- Various Manufacturers: counselling on soil and groundwater remediation, legal advice with regard to industrial accidents
- TÜV Nord Immobilien GmbH & Co.KG: urban development with respect to developing an industrial park; ongoing advise on planning and environmental law;
- Various Manufacturer: advising on WEEE and RoHS.